Pakistan hopes for positive result
Pakistan said Thursday it was hoping for a positive outcome from next month’s ICC meeting to resolve a dispute after the country was stripped of its World Cup 2011 matches over security concerns.
‘The International Cricket Council has scheduled a meeting in Dubai on June 3 to discuss the World Cup 2011 matters in which PCB is also invited,’ the Pakistan Cricket Board said in a statement.
The PCB is involved in a legal battle with the game’s governing body after challenging last month’s decision to strip Pakistan of its 14 World Cup matches.
The ICC said the ‘uncertain security situation’ in Pakistan had forced it to distribute the matches among the three co-hosts India, Sri Lanka and Bangladesh.
The PCB sent a legal notice to the ICC earlier this month, saying the decision to strip them of the matches was legally flawed and done in haste.
It also moved the ICC Dispute Resolution Committee to look into the decision and warned it would take the case to the Court of Arbitration for Sports in Switzerland.
The ICC Board said last week that they had not decided to remove the PCB as a joint host of the event, but only that the matches assigned to the PCB should be played outside Pakistan.
PCB legal adviser Taffazul Rzivi said the invitation to the ICC meeting was a favourable move for Pakistan.
‘We feel that the invitation to the meeting as a positive step and hoped that issues will be resolved as per the hosts’ agreement of the World Cup 2011,’ Rizvi told AFP.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment